Glycyrrhizae Radix et Rhizoma (甘草) is the dried root and rhizome of Glycyrrhiza uralensis Fischer, or G. inflata Bat., or G. glabra L., family Fabaceae.
Cha-Em-Chin, Cha-Em-Thet (Thai name), Gancao (Chinese name), Liquorice Root
Cylindrical, the outer bark loose or tight, reddish-brown or greyish-brown, obviously longitudinally wrinkled. Odor slightly, characteristic; taste, sweet.
Important cultivation area
Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, Gansu, Xinjiang provinces, and western part of the Northeast.
1. Gancaopian: Wash clean, soften thoroughly, cut into thick slices, and dry.
2. Zhigancao: Mix Gancaopian with dilute refined honey in an appropriate quantity of boiling water (use 25 kg of honey for 100 kg of Gancaopian), allow to stand until moistened. Stir-fry on a gentle fire until becomes yellow to deep yellow and not sticky to the fingers, take out and dry.
Traditional Chinese Medicine action
Sweet; neutral. Enter heart, lung, spleen and stomach channels.
1. Gancaopian : sweet; neutral, mild cold. Clear heat and remove toxin, dispel phlegm to suppress cough. Used for phlegm-heat cough, swelling and pain in throat, swelling abscess, reduce food or drug toxins.
2. Zhigancao : Sweet, warm. Tonify spleen and harmonize the stomach, tonify qi and regain pulse. Used for spleen-stomach weakness, fatigue and lack of strength, palpitation, bound and intermittent pulse.
Thai Traditional Medicine action
Sweet. Nourish heart, detoxify phlegm, suppress cough, soothe the throat and used as sweetening for the medicine.
Usage and dosage 1.5-9 g, decoction for oral use.
* Contraindication and precaution *
Incompatible with Jingdaji, Hongdaji, Yuanhua, Gansui, Haizao. Contraindication in patient suffering from hypertension, cirrhosis, chronic renal insufficiency, and pregnant woman.
Copy right of Huachiew Traditional Chinese Medicine Clinic.
For public knowledge.
Commercially copy without permission is prohibited.