Last updated: 2021-03-03 |
Astragali Radix (黄芪) is the dried root of Astragalus membranaceus (Fisch) Bge. var. mongholicus (Bge.) Hsiao, or A. membranaceus (Fisch.) Bge., family Fabaceae (Leguminosae-Papilionoideae).
Milkvetch Root, Huangqi (Chinese name)
Cylindrical, some branched, upper part relatively broad. External pale brownish-yellow or pale brown, with irregular, longitudinal wrinkles or furrows. Texture hard and tenacious, uneasily broken, fracture highly fibrous and starchy, wood pale yellow, with radiate striations and fissures, the center part of old root occasionally rotten-wood-shaped, blackish-brown or hollowed. Odor, slight; taste, slightly sweet, and slightly bean-like on chewing.
Important cultivation area
Shanxi, Hebei, Jilin provinces
and Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region.
1. Huangqi: Eliminate foreign matters, grade according to size, wash clean, soften thoroughly, cut into thick slices and dry.
2. Zhihuangqi: Mix Huangqi with dilute refined honey in an appropriate quantity of boiling water (use 25 kg of honey for 100 kg of Huangqi), allow to stand until moistened. Stir-fry on a gentle fire until not sticky to the fingers, take out and dry.
Traditional Chinese Medicine action
Sweet; slightly warm. Enter lung and spleen channels.
1. Huangqi : Tonify qi, stop sweating, promote urination to alleviate edema, engender jin and nourish blood, move qi, relieve pain, healing wound and promote skin generation.
2. Zhihuangqi : Stir-fry with honey enhance potency in tonify qi to tonify spleen and stomach.
Usage and dosage
10-15 g, decoction for oral use. 30-60 g can be used.
* Contraindication and precaution *
Contraindicated in patient with indigestion, yin deficiency with yang hyperactivity, yang and excessive patterns ulcer.
Precaution use in large dose, may cause dizziness, oppression in the chest, insomnia, severe limb pain, or cause allergy, itchy, skin rash, or others. Anaphylactic shock can be occurred in severe case.
Copy right of Huachiew Traditional Chinese Medicine Clinic.
For public knowledge.
Commercially copy without permission is prohibited.