Last updated: 2021-07-13 | 1310 Views |
Alum (白矾) is a processed mineral of sulfates of alumstone, containing mainly potassium aluminium sulfate (KAl(SO4)2·12H2O).
Sarn-Som (Thai name), Baifan (Chinese name), Alumen
Irregular masses or granular, colorless or pale yellowish-white, transparent or translucent. External slightly smooth or uneven, with fine and dense longitudinal ridges, and glassy lustre. Texture hard
and fragile. Odor, slight; taste, sour, slightly sweet and extremely astringent.
Important cultivation area
Zhejiang, Anhui, Fujian and Shanxi provinces.
1. Baifan : Eliminate foreign matters.
2. Kufan : Place Baifan in a calcining pot. Heat it with strong fire until it melts. Continue calcining until the expanded loose foam is white honeycomb solid. It is completely dry, allow to cool.
Traditional Chinese Medicine action
Sour and astringent; Cold. Enter lung, spleen, liver and large intestine channels.
1. Baifan : Topical application to remove toxin, kill worms, dry dampness and relieve itching; oral administration to stanch bleeding, stop diarrhea, and dispel wind-phlegm.
2. Kufan : Decrease sour flavor and cold property. More potent in dry dampness and promote wound healing, stop bleeding.
Usage and dosage
Break to pieces before use. 0.6-1.5 g, decoction for oral use.
Appropriate amount for external use, dissolve in water for washing, or grind it into powder for application.
* Contraindication and precaution *
Copy right of Huachiew Traditional Chinese Medicine Clinic.
For public knowledge.
Commercially copy without permission is prohibited.