Last updated: 22 Jul 2022 | 8284 Views |
Atractylodis Macrocephalae Rhizoma (白术) is the dried rhizome of Atractylodes macrocephala Koidz, family Asteraceae (Compositae).
Baizhu (Chinese name), Largehead Atractylodes Rhizome
Irregularly plump mass. External greyish-yellow or greyish-brown, with warty protrudings, interrupted longitudinal wrinkles and grooves, and scars of fibrous rootlets; remains of stems and bud scars attached to the apex. Texture hard, uneasily broken, fracture uneven, yellowish-white to pale brown, scattered with brownish-yellow dotted oil cavities. Odor, aromatic; taste, sweet and slightly pungent, slightly viscous on chewing.
Important cultivation area
Zhejiang , Anhui, Hunan, Hubei provinces
1. Baizhu: Eliminate foreign matters, wash clean, soften thoroughly, cut into thick slices, and dry.
2. Tuchaobaizhu: Stir-bake Zaoxintu (soil inside ancient stove) on a medium fire until loose, add Baizhu (use 25 kg of Zaoxintu for 100 kg of Baizhu), then continuously stir-bake and sift out Zaoxintu.
3. Fuchaobaizhu: Stir-bake wheat bran already stir-fried with honey on a medium fire until smoke, add the slices of Baizhu (use 10 kg of wheat bran for 100 kg of Baizhu), then stir-bake on a medium fire until the color turns yellowish-brown with burnt aroma, and sift out wheat bran.
Traditional Chinese Medicine action
Bitter and sweet; warm. Enter spleen and stomach channels.
1. Baizhu : Fortify the spleen and replenish qi, dry dampness and induce diuresis, check sweating, prevent miscarriage.
2. Tuchaobaizhu : Enhance tonifying spleen and anti-diarrhea.
3. Fuchaobaizhu : Moderate dryness. Enhance fortifying spleen and anti-flatulence.
Usage and dosage 6-12 g, decoction for oral use.
* Contraindication and precaution *
Copy right of Huachiew Traditional Chinese Medicine Clinic.
For public knowledge.
Commercially copy without permission is prohibited.